Free Calendar from Bravenet.com Free Calendar from Bravenet.com Bravenet.com Free Message Forum from Bravenet.com Free Message Forums from Bravenet.com
 

"You don't have to swim faster than the shark, just faster than the guy next to you." - Anonymous


Latest Stuff @ SmoovePinch

 

 


Join the Mailing List
Enter your name and email address below:
Name:
Email:
Subscribe  Unsubscribe 
Free Mailing Lists from Bravenet.com

Saturday, May 27, 2006

When The Well Runs Dry


Life is strange indeed. I’ve always been observant of people and human behaviour in general but ever since I’ve been afflicted with this nerve disorder I’ve come to appreciate how much being “normal” is worth.

I’ve also seen, time and time again. many people take their health, bodies, partner, heck - their whole lives for granted. They walk thru life with a La De Da attitude, thinking “yeah, right. Nothing bad will happen to me” I was like that once too.

Now that my body “jams up” whenever I’m in the same position for too long, how I envy “normal” people. What I wouldn’t give to be “normal” again. What you take for granted, the movements that you make without even thinking – I cannot do anymore.

That’s why I feel sad whenever I see people abusing themselves or others.

Recently I was in Sintok, Kedah, researching articles for the Star. Lincoln and I put up at his friend’s house in the staff quarters of Universiti Utara Malaysia. A friendly Malay couple where the husband is a student liaison officer for the university and the wife operates a stall at the canteen.

They welcomed us with open arms and shared their humble food and shelter with us. We slept in the hall at night. Thus we were flabbergasted to discover their 20 year old jobless son noisily re-arranging the flower pots at 3:00am in the morning.

We opened the main door to let him in and detected from his slurred speech and the sweet aroma that clung to him that he was extremely high on weed. He continued to bang and crash around the house for another good half an hour before falling asleep.

The next day, since they were Lincoln’s friends, I kept my trap shut while he quietly spoke with the lady of the house. She wept as she told him she knew about her son but felt powerless to do anything. Sad, isn’t it?

Closer to home, I visited an event company with Colin Jensen recently. It is run by a husband and wife team, and since it was a Sunday their two kids were in the office too.

While we were talking business with the husband, the wife gently interrupted and asked if he had broken anything in his office. He admitted he had broken a glass. She than said that she had suffered a glass cut to her foot and that she was worried the children would suffer the same fate, and questioned him as to why he had not told her about the broken glass so that she could clean it up
.
Now this is where the difference lies. Where I would have shown concern for my wife, at the very least apologizing to her (I’m so sorry, sweetheart’) and demanding to see her foot or offering to get her a plaster, our friend brushed it off gruffly.

I don’t know if he felt embarrassed to show concern in our presence. The fact is he blowed her off. So happened she’s a real looker, too. Nice body even after two kids. I know I would have respected him even more if he had taken the time to attend to her for five minutes. It takes effort to make relationships work.

There’s an old saying – we don’t appreciate the well until the water runs out. .
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Comments:
No surprising so many divorce on-gong. MEN, what do they know or what have they contribute to day-to-day life. Women really don't need them, trust me!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?Free Links from Bravenet.comFree Links from Bravenet.com