Free Calendar from Bravenet.com Free Calendar from Bravenet.com Bravenet.com Free Message Forum from Bravenet.com Free Message Forums from Bravenet.com
 

"You don't have to swim faster than the shark, just faster than the guy next to you." - Anonymous


Latest Stuff @ SmoovePinch

 

 


Join the Mailing List
Enter your name and email address below:
Name:
Email:
Subscribe  Unsubscribe 
Free Mailing Lists from Bravenet.com

Monday, July 18, 2005

RSVP

RSVP
répondez s'il vous plaît (French)
please reply


Here’s a simple concept: to invite people to an event, you send them an invitation. In this invitation, you list the event, date, time and place. You may even suggest a suitable form of dressing if appropriate.

Here’s another simple concept: you request for an RSVP. This will be of tremendous help to the host with regards to the logistics of seating arrangements, catering of food and wine, parking arrangements and all the hassle that comes with throwing a party.

Unfortunately, the concept of RSVP is lost on Malaysians. While I realize that this is a very sweeping and generalized statement, consider the facts: I was asked by a friend who owns a restaurant and had relocated nearby to arrange for some press coverage.

Being the smart fellow that I thought I was, I asked him if he would sponsor a press get-together cum restaurant review. Being the smart businessman that he is, he agreed to lay on a sumptuous buffet lunch, wine, beer and juices.

I promptly emailed and invited 40 colleagues in the press. I asked for an RSVP. Except for two female Caucasians and 1 female local reporter, I didn’t get the courtesy of an RSVP. So with one day to go before the get together, I started calling up everyone I had emailed.

Of course, being the hard working press people that they are most were not in. So I left a message to call me. Only one did. I sms-ed those whose mobile numbers I had. Two replies.

I called my restaurateur friend and told him to cancel the buffet and replace it with a la minute orders as I wasn’t sure of the turn-up and didn’t want him to waste food.

On the day of the get-together, four people turn up. We actually have a good time chatting and eating. Moral of the story? It makes me wonder – if we can do this to people who want to give us free food wine and beer, what will we do to our enemies?




AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Comments:
Well, hey! You didn't invite me!;-)
Nim
 
here here!

hungry x-fool
 
very buzy lah, no time to rsvp
- abc
 
i always thought rsvp stood for "reply still very poor"
- journo
 
more like "reply! silly vain person"
- another journo
 
are you guys having fun yet? u have no time to rsvp but u have time to post comments. sheesh!
- dave
 
janganlah marah kawan. nanti cepat tua.

- charlie chickadee
 
Eh I dont want to rsvp means I dont want to rsvp lah. cannot understand ah?

- anonymous
 
[[ makes me wonder if we can do this to people who want to give us free food wine and beer, what will we do to our enemies? ]]

whoah,giving food review is not like doing charity of giving free food...there's also free publicity (which, in pure monetary terms, costs thousand times more than the price of of food) involved. i think many journalists have to reserve their time for "in case there's a last-minute event that's more important than food review" kind of scenario...so that's y many ppl tried to save u from the pain of rsvp-ing a 'yes' the week before and not turning up on that day.
 
while i respect your opinion and thank you for your comment, i feel that in this day and age of instant communication we can always shoot off an sms to say sorry if we can't make it. what do you think?

- dave avran
 
hey joe... the least you can do is to put up pixs of the delicious dishes you guys had... need something to wank about...

extremely hungry x-fool
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?Free Links from Bravenet.comFree Links from Bravenet.com